Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Strawberry preserves ...

Sometimes opposing worlds intersect. Such events can be either disasterous or wonderful. In this case, the latter. This week I have had the opportunity to see the enthusiasm of two DARRYL STRAWBERRY collectors.

This coincidental meeting brought back a bit of nostalgia of the mid-1980's N.Y. Mets. The chase for Strawberry rookie cards was hot and heavy in the fall of 1983 as Topps issued this debut in its traded set.

The request by one of these collectors for a full body shot of the Straw-man swinging a bat prompted me to produce this custom throw-back card. Darryl is featured on this 1974 Topps style card.
It also brought me to search some of my old art boxes for a project never completed - the Topps 1956 style painting of the N.Y. Mets star. I never got around to finishing the picture - made in water colors - as I was finishing college and had a few other things on my mind.



Now, looking back after all these years, I see that Darryl has tried to turn his life around - which includes work with his charity foundation. I wish him the best of life.
Those were good memories.

1 comment:

Dinged Corners said...

We agree about Darryl trying to turn his life around. We respect that. Very nice Topps art!