Monday, February 15, 2010

Flags, Curling and the Danish ... Go Denmark !

One of my favorite reasons (if as if I needed one) to collect cigarette cards, is that they are an abundance of information. In days of old, one could probably get a P.h.D from reading these before the cancer from using the tobacco set into the body.

When I entered JDs Wild Cardz Olympic contest, I knew the random draw would pull me in as a new fan of some country - unless I was lucky enough to draw the USA.

I did not. The lot for number 77 was DENMARK. I could have done worse for the winter games - as Cardboard Junkie's pick turned out to be Jamaica. He had an Allen & Ginter mini card of a Denmark flag which I though about stealing for this blog.

But that would have been a dishonor to my new found country. Besides, I prefer the vintage to the new. So, I found some of these turn-of-the-century issues - including the Queen of Denmark (with a small coat of arms) ...

... and Turkish Trophy  card of a Danish women carrying Danish flags ...
... and more Danish flags, and a Danish coat of arms ...


... and the King of Denmark, with and flag (with a coat of arms) AND a coat of arms (and ice skaters) ...

... and the Danish Capitol building (Copenhagen), with a Danish flag ...

After finding all these, I went to see who the Olympic team of Denmark brought to the 2010 games in Vancouver. It revealed that the team had 18 athletes competing in 6 different events - of which more than half were in the sport of CURLING ...


... sticks and stones ... broom sticks and push stones.

Well, I'll be tuning in to some major Danish superstars in the push and sweep.

GO DENMARK !

No comments: