Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Jax Card Show - These Are Not The Cards You Seek

I had planned to attend a card show when I traveled up North last month. However, the closest I got was a card shop and local department store.
 
This past weekend I finally attended a local card show. It was free admission and there were about 25 dealers with a good range of products from boxes to graded cards.
 
A good portion of the tables were loaded with modern era product in discount boxes. Shiny, swatches and even scribbled sticker autographs. Tons of them. No, thousands of them with no takers. None of these were of interest to me.
I could have had a few semi-star signatures or jersey cards for a 5 spot, but nothing that fit my collecting focus or taste.
 
One seller had some 1939 Churchman's soccer cards. He though he had a gold mine. I tried to let him down easy and informing him that they were obtainable for about a $1 a piece on line. Now he really hates soccer.
 
I found a few toy dealers and coin sellers at the show. I found one table that had some vintage non-sport cards as well as some action figures and odd toys.  My affinity for all exotic and foreign material led me to these:
 
 
1977 O-Pee-Chee Charlie's Angels.

 
I once saw Mexican versions of these with Spanish text. So when the seller said he could not find these in the price guide, it piqued my interest. I knew these must be O-Pee-Chee with the French text under the English titles.

 
I selected two Farrah Fawcett (Jill Monroe) cards and one Jacqueline Smith (Kelly). These were from the 1st season of the iconic TV show - the only one that featured Farrah before she married Lee Majors (aka Steve Austin, The Six Million Dollar Man).
 
Note: I apologize for the crappy pictures as my scanner was off line.
 
The other table I went back to was a seller who travelled often to Japan and specialized in BEATLES figures as well as GODZILLA stuff.
 
I made a deal for a miniature boxed Godzilla figure described as follows:
 
This Bandai "Candy" toy series (named because each box contains a little packet of candy) was produced in 2000 for the release of the Toho movie Godzilla vs Megaguirus.  The Super Real Godzilla series had 6 figures in individual boxes. This is the Heisei style Godzilla (Heisei refers to the time period which in Japan is based on the Emperor's reign, the current Emperor's time period is Heisei). So the style refers to godzillas from 1989 forward. The  figure  stands about 3 1/2 inches tall. Godzilla stands  on a cityscape diorama base  Each figure requires easy snapping together.  The parts are vinyl and plastic. The series is out of production and hard to find. 
 
 
I love the Japanese writing and colorful pictures on all sides of the box. (Front and side above)

Back of the box.

 
This is the 3 inch monster in all its glory.

 
This was the set of them on display.
 
I did not find any sports cards that fit in my collection, but I did enjoy the couple of hours looking through the merchandise. I will probably go to the upcoming show next month.
 
 
 

1 comment: