Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Kurt & Goudey: Oldies But Newbies ...

Growing up in the 1960's when television and NFL football were a marriage made in heaven, life was pretty cool. A broadcaster that epitomized the smooth and generic was a guy named Curt Gowdy. He did all the big sports from the Super Bowl to the World Series and even the Olympics.

He later hosted a TV show called The American Sportsman - where he took celebrated athletes to hunt and fish.

I get this nostalgic as I look at the Arizona CARDINALS - a franchise that has long been absent from the spotlight. So it is fitting that a veteran player - KURT WARNER - has taken them back to the limelight. Here's looking at you old dude !
Another whiff of nostalgia comes from a recent pack I finally got around to opening - 2008 Goudey baseball. I really like this set. I like it for its design and also for the bright colors which remind me of the 1970's. No glossy, no gold print, no hologram or refraction - just plain ole good poses of players.

Got two Yankees and a Red Sox ...
There is a nice mixture of new players and many retired ones in the set. In addition to the baseball stars there are athletes from other sports as well. Unfortunately, I did not pull any of those in this pack. However, I did manage a Sports Royalty card of Andre Dawson.
I also happen to get one of the Game-Used cards which is as thick as a stuffed crust pizza. I had to search for an extra wide sleeve to fit the card.


I know there is a few Cubs, Rangers, Padres, Marlins and Brewers fans out there. So, if you need these for your sets - just shoot me a mail. I'll take Red Sox, Yankees or some of the other sports I need. (Olympians and soccer players preferred.

EPILOGUE: Today the 44th President of the United States was sworn into office. After witnessing the outpouring of energy during this event - I can honestly say, I was proud to be an American today. No matter who has taken residence in our Capitol, we have done it without bloodshed and with hope and glory since 1789.

No comments: